Adam Han-Gorski on left with classmsates and Samuel Rubin at the Music Academy in Tel Aviv.
Itzhak Perlman is front and center.
The Samuel Rubin Israel Academy of Music, the largest unit to form the new school, was founded as early as 1945, as the Israel Music Conservatory & Academy. Its founders were all immigrants from central Europe (mainly from Hungary), who fled Europe just prior to the outbreak of World War II, and were among the founding members of the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra. Among them were violist Oeden Partos, composer Alexander Uria Boskovich, pianist Ilona Vincze, cellist Leslo Vincze, and violinists Lorend and Aliza Fenivash & the late Ilona Feher. In its early days, the Academy was comprised of 80 students and 18 teachers and the educational activity took place in the shelter of “Shalva” high school in northern Tel Aviv. The Academy`s first director was cellist Dr. Leslo Vincze. The number of students increased rapidly and by the early 1960’s there were more than 1000 students and 150 teachers at the Academy.
In 1951, composer Arnold Schoenberg was appointed the first Honorary President of the Academy; and composer and principal violist of the IPO, Oeden Partos, becameI its director. That same year, the Academy moved to Southern Tel Aviv, where it shared a building with the “Tachkemoni” elementary school on Lilinblum Street. Following Schoenberg’s death, renowned composer, conductor and pianist Leonard Bernstein was appointed Second Honorary President of the Academy.
Joining the newly formed Tel Aviv University in 1966, the Academy moved to its current building in Ramat-Aviv campus. Following the move, the Academy was separated from its conservatory division, that became an independent institute, "The Israeli Conservatory of Music," today located on Stricker Street. In 1972, with the establishment of the Yolanda and David Katz Faculty of Arts, the Academy became an integral part of this new faculty.
Already at this stage, the Academy received national and international recognition as Israel's prime school of music and the country's main source for music making. Many of its graduates held senior positions in leading orchestras, opera houses and educational institutions in Israel and abroad.
During the early 1970’s, the Academy’s orchestra developed significantly. In 1970, the orchestra went on concert tour to Sweden and in 1975 to South-Africa. Its 1978 tour to Germany and the U.S. earned much acclaim.
The Academy’s development continued with the establishment of the Oratorio Choir in 1974 by conductor
Avner Itai, and the studio for Electroacoustic music by composer Yizhak Sadai.
You can find more about the Academy online at
The Buchmann-Mehta School of Music was founded in 2005, as a merge of the Samuel Rubin Israel Academy of Music, Tel Aviv University's Musicology Department and the orchestral training program of the Israel Philharmonic.